Magazine Track

Magazine Track

OKCupid: Who thinks compatibility ranks on dating web sites?

Share this with

They are outside links and certainly will start in a window that is new

They are external links and can open in a brand new screen

Close share panel

The dating website OKCupid has pretended to users with “bad” quantities of computer-assessed compatibility they are well-suited. Can belief in algorithms make individuals like one another, asks Justin Parkinson.

Christian Rudder has publicly questioned perhaps the algorithms employed by their website that is dating to possible lovers are “garbage”. He experimented by telling users of OKCupid by having a 30% “compatibility” score which they had been in reality greatly predisposed become suitable – either 60% or 90%.

Achieving this caused an increased portion to help make contact by sending an initial message. But Rudder, a Harvard maths graduate, went further, looking at what percentage of each and every combined team got on therefore well that they delivered four messages to one another. It nearly doubled if you was indeed deceived. Read More